Japan Scholarships

Scholarships that can be used for study abroad may be awarded on the basis of personal attributes (ethnic or religious background, parents’ field of employment, children of veterans, descendents of immigrants from specific countries), or on academic focus, major, or career path. Your challenge is to locate relevant funding. You may find further scholarship and financial aid information at your school’s study abroad office. Here is a starting list to help you:

Bridging Scholarships for Study in Japan
Sponsored by the Association of Teachers of Japanese, these scholarships provide assistance of up to $4,000 to qualified students for study at an eligible program in Japan.

Freeman Awards for Study in Asia
Offered through the Institute of International Education, these awards provide funds for study abroad in East and Southeast Asia ranging from $3,000-$7,000, depending on the length of the study abroad program.

Gilman International Scholarship Program
Offered through the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State and administered by the Institute of International Education, this program provides awards for study abroad, for U.S. citizens or U.S. national students who are receiving federal need-based aid under Title IV: Pell Grants, Federal Work-Study, Stafford Loans, Perkins, Loans, and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants. Awards are up to $5,000, depending on length of program.

The Fund for Education Abroad (FEA)
FEA provides scholarships and grants to US students in the effort to provide more opportunities for them to attend intensive education abroad programs. One of its main objectives is to aid dedicated US students in learning foreign language skills and appreciating cultural differences in various societies. Scholarships are awarded with a preference for underrepresented students such as minorities and community college students.

Millennium Scholars Program
Offered through the Millennium Society, these awards are for students in an accredited, undergraduate, degree-granting college or university that offers a cross-cultural environment, be between the ages of 17 and 25, and have verifiable need for financial assistance.



Related post from KCP Window on Japan: