Health Planning

We encourage you to have complete physical and dental examinations before traveling abroad. Depending on your itinerary, your personal risk factors, and the length of your stay, your family doctor may offer you vaccinations against hepatitis B, tick-borne encephalitis, influenza, or Japanese encephalitis. Review and update routine immunizations as needed. 

If you wear glasses or contact lenses, take an extra pair along with a copy of your prescription in case your eyewear becomes lost or damaged. There are several English-speaking doctors and hospitals in Tokyo if you require medical treatment while in Japan.

Here is the link on US Embassy showing medical resources in Tokyo:

If you take prescription medicine regularly, bring enough of a supply to last you for your entire stay. That medicine may not be available in Japan, or it may be very expensive.

Medical Kit

Although most medication and health-related supplies are available in Japan, it’s a good idea to pack a small medical kit to take with you. Consider taking: aspirin (or anti-inflammatory), antihistamine, kaolin preparation, antiseptic, calamine lotion, band-aids, insect repellent, sun block cream or suntan lotion, and lip balm. If you are currently taking prescription medication:

  • Make sure to bring an ample supply with you for the duration of the program. (Please visit Bringing Medication in Japan section for details.)
  • There are cases that the medication you have been taking in your own country is prohibited in Japan. Please check well in advance, and have your physician write a note explaining your prescription.
  • Bring a photocopy of the generic name of the drug in case you are questioned while traveling or by a customs agent upon entering Japan. If you are stopped at customs, you will need to prove the legality of the drugs with a signed prescription by your doctor.

For more on bringing prescription medication into Japan, see Importing Medicines for Personal Use (US Embassy). If you have a special medical condition that others should know about (diabetes, penicillin allergy, epilepsy, etc.), get a medic alert bracelet so that this condition will be known in an emergency.


If you have a pre-existing condition that may affect your stay (serious illness or health problem), you must notify KCP when filling out your application. You may be required to have a complete physical exam and have a doctor write a summary of your condition. You will not be disqualified for participation in this program unless it is determined that the study abroad experience could be a serious risk to your well being.

Inoculations are not required when traveling to Japan from the United States. However, if you are traveling to Japan from another country, check with the nearest Japanese Consulate for requirements. If you get sick or hurt, please talk to your host family or your student coordinator immediately.

If needed, the student coordinators will introduce you to a local doctor. If you are allergic to any medication, please make sure to tell the doctor. You must make a cash payment to the doctor or hospital. If you apply for insurance reimbursement, you will need a certificate from the doctor. This certificate usually costs around ¥3,000 to ¥ 5,000. The cost of the certificate could be more than the total bill, so it may be more economical to pay the bill directly and get reimbursed by your own insurance company after returning to your home country. You will need to get a doctor’s letter only if your medical charges exceed ¥ 30,000.

Learning Disability

If you have a learning disability, you need to inform KCP as soon as possible and provide us with proper descriptive documents from a doctor or teacher so that we can best assist you.


As a supplement to your own health insurance, KCP provides students with minor medical and accident coverage that begins the day after arrival in Japan and lasts through the last day of the program. However, KCP coverage is designed as a “top up” policy only. Students must be insured through another insurance policy while in Japan or while on any independent travel excursion. It is your responsibility to secure additional coverage before departing for Japan. These items are included in the KCP coverage:

Medical expense for accidents ¥ 500,000
Death by injury ¥ 2,000,000
Medical expense for sickness ¥ 500,000
Death by sickness ¥ 2,000,000

Amounts are for current coverage as of June 2016, and are subject to change without notice. If you need to use this insurance, please contact your student coordinator for more details. The KCP plan does not cover major medical, and exclusions includes: (1) dental disease; (2) pregnancy, childbirth, premature birth, or miscarriage; (3) any pre-existing condition.

Make sure your existing plan will cover you while abroad. Read through the insurance policy thoroughly to make sure you understand your plan’s limitations. Students who visit a doctor while in Japan may have to pay out-of-pocket fees. Students planning to attend KCP longer than one term and who will therefore be obtaining a long-term visa will participate in National Health Insurance. These students will be responsible for any charges to join and maintain National Health Insurance coverage. Students who do not have health insurance or who wish to purchase additional insurance may find the following information useful:

HTH Worldwide
Tel: 888-350-2002

CISI—Cultural Insurance Services International

Study Abroad Insurance

Basic Health Precautions

Tap water is safe and pure throughout Japan. Many people do drink bottled water because they prefer the taste, or for convenience.We advise you not to get tattoos or piercings while you are abroad. Some piercing and tattoo studios may not use proper sterilization techniques—it’s hard to tell. The AIDS situation is similar to that of the U.S.—AIDS is a worldwide epidemic. The virus is most commonly transmitted through sexual relations with an infected person.

Other means of contracting the virus are sharing needles, exposure to infected medical instruments, or bad blood transfusions. If you are sexually active, take precautions against AIDS as you would in the U.S. For more, click here.

Since you never know how well your body may adjust to new eating and drinking habits, bring along some anti-diarrhea medication. (Check with your doctor.) For government travel advisories, read the bulletin board regularly at the KCP office. You can also visit the U.S. State Department website .

Some recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC):

  1. Wash hands often with soap and water.
  2. Because motor vehicle crashes are a leading cause of injury among travelers, walk and drive defensively. (This is especially true in a country like Japan where people drive on the left side of the road.) Avoid travel at night if possible and always use seat belts.
  3. To reduce the risk of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases, always use latex condoms.
  4. Don’t eat or drink dairy products unless you know they have been pasteurized.

Bringing Medication Into Japan

Access to medication is essential, especially for travelers who may be away from home for a long period of time. It is always good to check what types of medication are allowed when entering a foreign country, whether they are over the counter or prescription meds. The policies of most countries differ widely on what types of medicines are available, and it is best for you to prepare before traveling.

meds1In Japan, bringing medication from overseas into the country is controlled by the Pharmaceutical Affairs Law and the Customs Law. This is observed primarily to prevent health hazards caused by defective products. It is important for anyone travelling to Japan to know what types of medication are allowed and what are prohibited, as well as the allowable quantity for personal use. It is helpful to know beforehand any required procedure to undertake when bringing in medication into Japan. You can visit the Embassy of the United States Tokyo, Japan site for more details.

Some helpful facts you should know:

  • Students may bring as much as one month’s supply of prescription medication into Japan. They must bring a copy of their doctor’s prescription as well as a letter stating the purpose of the drug.
  • Some U.S. prescription medications cannot be imported into Japan, even when accompanied by a customs declaration and a copy of the prescription.
  • Students may bring as much as two months’ supply of non-prescription drugs without completing any paperwork.
  • It is illegal to bring into Japan some over-the-counter medicines commonly used in the United States, including inhalers and some allergy and sinus medications: specifically, products that contain stimulants such as pseudoephedrine.
  • Students who need to take more than a month’s supply of prescription drugs or more than two months’ supply of non-prescription drugs to Japan must obtain a Yakkan Shoumei–an import certificate–prior to traveling to Japan. Present the Yakkan Shoumei certificate with your prescription medicines at Customs upon arrival.
  • Students carrying prescription and non-prescription medications can consult the Japanese Consulate in the U.S. before leaving for Japan to confirm if they are allowed in the country. A full listing of phone numbers and email addresses is available at
  • Application forms for the Yakkan Shoumei differ slightly depending on which airport you are flying into in Japan.

Doctors in Japan can prescribe substitutes for the medicines you need. Several English-speaking medical facilities throughout Japan are available to address your medical concerns. For more information on bringing medicines for personal use into Japan and other medical concerns, please visit Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare site. You can also see a sample of the Yakkan Shoumei form and read some common questions and answers on bringing medicines to Japan such as Yakkan Shoumei requirements and where to submit them.


sakura1tinyRelated post from KCP Window on Japan:

Applying for a Yakkan Shoumei by KCP Student Steven Trapani